Language For Life Partnership
Speech, Language and Communication
I am an independent education consultant based in the NW England and presently working within a number of Blackburn with Darwen schools. With over 30 years of teaching and consultancy experience I specialise in speech, language and communication and am passionate about vocabulary learning.
My role as specialist speech and language consultant teacher is
- to ensure all children are supported to communicate to the very best of their ability, especially for those with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN).
- to improve children’s communicative skills through cultivating a legacy of professional awareness, knowledge to promote communication, speaking, listening and literacy skills.
- to create the catalysts to improve children’s speaking and listening skills to underpin and promote effective understanding and comprehension.
The purpose of developing word knowledge and narrative skills is to use them to enhance listening and reading comprehension. Vocabulary knowledge is the visible top of the iceberg – it drives comprehension and underpins its success. My work is built upon a strong evidence base, constantly mindful of the clearest correlations between deprivation and the vital language development that leads to reading. My task is to support and develop children’s speaking and listening regardless of their starting point to support the critical route to knowledge, creativity and confidence and make learning fun!
I can tailor a wide variety of individual learning and training packages for schools across a range of mainstream and SEN schools.
- Language work to develop literacy in the classroom.
- Vocabulary teaching and learning in all school settings using the Pre-Teaching Vocabulary resource.
- Whole school approaches to SLC development and support (including the use of Black Sheep Speaking and Listening through Narrative).
- Schools Direct and SCITT.
- Talk Boost and Early Talk Boost (ICAN tutor).
- Baseline SLCN assessments and SLCN training for Sencos.
- Working in an EAL school.
- Conference talks and workshops.
Professional and academic work
I am is a founder member of the North West Network Speech and Language Group and also the secretary of the National Association of Professionals concerned with Language Impairment in Children (NAPLIC). I hold an MSc in Language an Communication Impairment in Children from the University of Sheffield. In April 2014 my Pre-Teaching Vocabulary (PTV) resource was added to The Communications Trust What Works database at the ‘indicative’ level.